Sunday, January 21, 2007

Eye Don't Know Why I Bother

I direct your attention to the Eye Weekly Cross Canada Music Critics Poll. I took a few years off from contributing to it - the last time I participated, not a single disc or artist I voted for made any list whatsoever. This year, I'm happy to say, other critics found Justin Timberlake overrated and Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" to be a pretty good song just like I did. I'm so glad my opinion has been duly heard and registered.

Eye needs to get a bigger rolodex for this task. There is too much music, and hopefully diversity of musical opinion, in this country and beyond to create such a rockist poll year after year. More than being a rockist poll, it's a hype-ist poll. Very few of these selections were not accompanied by a good deal of hype and a surprising percentage of those listed seems to be on major labels. Maybe it's time to get more bloggers or perhaps radio hosts who aren't quite so plugged into the usual channels of Canadian music marketing.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home