Saturday, May 31, 2008

Abstract Index Playlist - May 28/08


This is my 200th post, so I'm going to inflict some self-indulgence on you.

I don't know to what extent I've tipped my favourite bands/artists are over these past two and a half years. That said, the only artist to have a label is James Brown. But it's time to create another label for the Brotherhood of Breath.

I've said it before.... blah blah blah ferocious intensity... uplifting, funky Kwela melodies and rhythms... freedom and grooves. Jazz impresario Ronnie Scott says it best at the beginning of the podcast 'simply one of the most exciting bands I've ever heard'. Cuneiform Records broadens the legacy of this unique band with each successive release of unreleased live recordings. Eclipse At Dawn may be the best of the bunch.

Surprisingly, Mongezi Feza (the South African Don Cherry and then some) is not in the lineup on this date, November 4, 1971 in Berlin. Fortunately, this allows less heralded trumpeters Harry Beckett and (especially) Marc Charig and to add different colors. The twin pit bull attack of Dudu Pukwana and Gary Windo on alto and tenor respectively always ensures that there are higher heights to be reached through collective improv than anyone thought possible. Chris McGregor's piano is more assertive than usual, at least in the first half of the concert; he seems pretty enthused by the set judging from his acknowledgment to the crowd at the end of the disc.

As with any Brotherhood release, there are some dry spells and rough patches, but that's free music for you: the highs are well worth it. The crowd can't get enough and neither can I.

nick tete - brotherhood of breath (cuneiform)
druse dubke - damien nisenson (ambiances magnetiques)
i've just destroyed the world i'm living in - reveries (rat drifting)
pisandose la cola - los blops (normal)
wtfs - fred fisher (vampisoul)
i did it again - jesse henderson (counterpoint)
my dear - NOMO (ubiquity)
reggae land dub - tony allen rmx by warrieka hill (honest jons)
concrete heart - sandro perri/tony dekker (no label)
when you live in mexico - ryan driver (rat drifting)
woula bara diagna - oumou sangare (nonesuch)
kel tamascheck - etran finatawa (riverboat)
very 1 - lucky dragons (marriage)
planet mars dub - ice breakers vs. mighty diamonds (virgin)
the weed song - daddy rings (African glory)
peace and love - dubmatix feat. linval thompson (7 arts)
put down the gun - king ujah (king ujah)
african satellite dub - the interrupter (tanty)
let me dub - gg all stars (heartbeat)
the half - sugar minott (heartbeat)
what kind of world - the cables (studio one)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Coincidence my mac HD crashed a few weeks ago, and I grabbed some tunes from my friend Adam to tide me over.

One of the records he recommended was Brotherhood of Breath- Eclipse at dawn... which I just happened to select for this morning's walk to work, and is still on my headphones as I check my music blogs.

Weird...

9:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home