Saturday, June 21, 2008

Abstract Index Playlist - June 11/08


Way late with this playlist, sorry. I'll keep it brief.
As a dedication to my daughter, I played the sugar sweet Carroll Thompson this week (misidentified on air, oh well). It's amazing to me that in the space of ten years or so, British lovers rock produced seemingly as many distinctive female vocalists as in the entire reggae era in Jamaica. Sure I like the I-Threes - though they're not exactly the Sweet Inspirations in overall talent - but I'm always mystified why there are so few world-class female singers from JA. An incredibly sexist music industry can't be the only reason... Perhaps fortunately, current day faves Etana and Queen Ifrica are as strong as any vocalists I've heard from the land of wood and water.
Here's a review of this compilation I did for Exclaim magazine.
Hour 2 podcast

allah mazane - niyaz (six degrees)
circle saw - szilard mezei ensemble (red toucan)
tiny pyramids - ratchet orchestra (no label)
have I lost my eyes - eric chenaux (constellation)
ajde, ajde fato - boban markovic orkestar (pirahna)
a casa de pedra - cassiano (emi)
while my guitar gently weeps - moody (sunbeam)
monk swing - karma and lotus (ptr)
african problems - seun kuti & egypt 80 (disorient)
milk - the mothers rmx. by nitin sawhney & peter raeburn (mr. bongo)
the alchemist manifesto - ocote soul sounds (esl)
you choose - zaki ibrahim (sony)
never in my life - love affair (ubiquity)
trust your child - patrizia & jimmy (numero)
it's so sorry - carroll thompson (greensleeves)
my mission is impossible - viceroys (trojan)
trickster - junior delgado (sound boy)
zentown - zentone (jarring effects)
spirits in the material world - dubxanne feat. benjamin zephaniah
a day will come - wailing souls (greensleeves)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home