Monday, June 23, 2008

Jamaican Echoes - The Documentary - June 29/08

Twilight Circus' studio.

It's finally done and ready to air.

With great pleasure, DJ Chocolate and I direct your attention to Patti Schmidt's new show, Inside The Music, this Sunday June 29th. It's on CBC Radio 2 at noon, and on Radio 1 at 8PM. This time slots are consistent across the country, so there's none of that "8PM Eastern, 9PM Central" stuff.

To recap - Jamaican Echoes has been my biggest project of the last 9 months. It's a documentary which traces the spread of dub from a studio accident in Jamaica to a worldwide musical sensibility.

Interviews will include:

Adrian Sherwood (On-U Sound - Depeche Mode, Primal Scream)
Bill Laswell (Global dub innovator - Fela Kuti, Motorhead, Herbie Hancock)
Twilight Circus (M Records - Michael Rose, Big Youth, Queen Ifrica)
Clifton Joseph (Dubzzz poet at large - CBC, Dub Poets Collective)
Dubmatix (Nu dub from Toronto – new disc features Alton Ellis, Sugar Minott)
Leroy Sibbles (All-time reggae legend! Heptones, Studio One bassist)
Michael Veal (Author; Dub: Soundscapes And Shattered Songs In Jamaican Reggae)

This documentary is produced, written and edited by yours truly and hosted and co-produced by Lauren "DJ Chocolate" Speers.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just finished listening to Jamaican Echoes - The Documentary on CBC. Thoroughly enjoyed it! An excellent learning experience. Any idea if this will be made into a podcast? or if there will be a transcript. I can make some similarities to development in architecture and design.

9:15 p.m.  
Blogger Dacks said...

Thanks for listening, and yes, I can see your point re: archictecture & design.

No plans for podcast just yet, and I haven't been told to provide a transcript, but I'll get the word out as soon as I find out.

7:49 a.m.  
Blogger :: groove :: said...

aarrgh! i just found out about this show today - from my 65+ psych prof no less! glad i keep going on and on about my love of beats else this probably would have slipped past my radar. he really enjoyed the doc btw, and i'm putting the good vibes out there in hopes that those of us who missed the episode will get a chance to give it a listen someway somehow...

peace.

7:33 p.m.  
Blogger Elliot said...

They recently replayed this documentary and I managed to catch it. Now I'd love to find an audio-stream of it, or purchase a recording if necessary, so I can share it with all my friends. Any ideas?

6:40 p.m.  
Blogger Dacks said...

Thanks for tuning in Elliot. I really wish there was some way to make this doc more widely available, but unfortunately there isn't. No stream or download exists for it. I don't own the rights to it... Sorry.

7:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home